AEG REVIEW for Exam #3
American English Grammar REVIEW FOR EXAM #3 Spring 2012
I. Punctuate each sentence, if necessary, and then diagram it on notebook paper.
- A group of students wanted to review their notes although the test had already started.
- If the dog tied to the tree is still there I will give him a treat and he will probably wag his tail.
- The teacher selected Kat who was sitting next to me as the class secretary.
- To draft this article you will are going to interview seniors with learning disabilities.
- On the table or behind the desk are two places where the dog often hides his toys.
II. Diagram each sentence on notebook paper.
- There are many reasons to begin exercising on a daily basis.
- The crowd dispersed after learning that the court case had ended earlier.
- Whomever you choose for your team must be able to throw a baseball.
- Someone in the room asked when the show was going to begin.
- That customer had no reason to be angry with you.
III. Circle the correct choice in each sentence below.
- The person (who, whom) the manager hired is always late.
- (Whoever, Whomever) he asks to the prom will be ecstatic.
- There (is, are) only two reasons for me to say yes.
- Sherry and (me, I, myself) found a stray kitten.
- Frequently, the number of people who win the lottery (is, are) three per drawing.
- My twin sister and best friend (win, wins) homecoming queen every year.
- Either the jacket or the pants (has, have) to be gray.
- Each of the girls wrote down (her, their) answers.
- The accountant felt (bad, badly) about his mistake on the tax form.
IV. Mark each sentence below as active or passive voice. If the sentence is passive, rewrite it in active voice.
- ___ The keynote speaker’s event tonight should be required for all attendees.
- ___ A pencil was passed to the student by a friendly classmate.
- ___ The radio DJ is interviewing a prospective intern.
V. Write sentences of your own as directed below.
- Write a sentence using trying as a progressive verb.
- Write a sentence using trying as a gerund.
- Write a sentence using trying as a participle.
- Write a sentence using to draw as a noun.
- Write a sentence using to draw as an adverb.
- Write a sentence using to draw as an adjective.